Pages

4.01.2010

March Project: Birthday Banner

Like I said before, I didn't get to finish my 2nd version of March's project: the birthday banner in Alicia Paulson's book Stitched in Time. My first run at it was a cute little banner for the little guy I threw a baby shower for a couple of weeks back. I chose the fabrics below to make a name banner for him, and hung it over our mantle, right next to where gifts were placed as guests entered our home.

Of course, I didn't get a single picture of the shower, so I didn't get a picture of the banner hanging over all the baby gifts. Trust me, it looked so cute.


Luckily, the new Mom took a break from cuddling with her new little guy and playing with her adorable little girl to snap up this picture of the banner:


From the very first time I looked through this book, I knew that I wanted to make this project. For whatever reason, it wasn't an easy project for me to dive into... I think the thought of having to cut out all those letters just seemed daunting. However, once I got started, it went so quickly that it only took an hour or so of actual hands-on time to finish.

It's almost like the hardest part was getting motivated to get started.

Once I made one from start to finish, I knew it wouldn't take long to stitch one up for our own family... to take out every birthday and start a new tradition. I got as far as stenciling the letters to the cut pieces of fabric, but haven't actually assembled it and won't until Mom heads home next week.

It was nice to get to browse through this book again, and admire the beautiful pictures and the anecdotes peppered throughout it. It's so lovely, the kind of book that makes you want to curl up with a nice cup of coffee, browsing, making a list of supplies to get at the fabric store... Might just have to do that this week...

No comments: