Pages

1.08.2010

New Year, New Projects

I love new beginnings, and a new year is just that: a time to start over, with resolutions and good intentions. It's also a time to clean out our home, make time to get organized and simplify. Or at least, I like to think so.

A few days ago, in an attempt to start simplifying my life, I took inventory of the very large number of craft books that I own. As I sat studying these books, I realize they perfectly map the route I've taken with my creative endeavors over the last 10 years. And as much as I love these books and what they represent, the truth is I've outgrown many of them.

So I found myself wondering: If I had to get rid of all but 12 of the craft books I own, which would I keep?

It was difficult for me to choose, but I decided the 12 that I currently can't get enough of make the cut. And then I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool to actually make a project a month from a different book each month?"


And so, this year, I am challenging myself to complete one project a month from one of these books (listed in no particular order):
  1. Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross
  2. Even More Quilts for Baby by Ursula Reikes
  3. Baby knits for beginners by Debbie Bliss
  4. The Big Book of Baby Knits by Zoe Mellor
  5. Itty Bitty Toys by Susan B. Anderson
  6. Bend-the-Rules Sewing by Amy Karol
  7. Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
  8. Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule
  9. Stitched in Time by Aicia Paulson
  10. Material Obsession by Kathy Doughty and Sarah Fielke
  11. Seams to Me by Ana Maria Horner
  12. Baby Beanies by Amanda Keeys
These are all books that I love to browse through for inspiration, but that, with a few exceptions, I've rarely made an actual project out of. This is the year. I'll pick the projects this weekend, and be back in a few days to report on my selections.

No comments: