Pages

4.06.2010

Trying something new

Being on a strict quilting budget means loving and using even the tiniest of scraps of even those fabrics you wouldn't normally be crazy about. After finishing Baby Oliver's quilt, I found myself with a lot of little strips of pastel fabric that I just couldn't get rid of. And, to be honest, I really didn't want to hold on to them and let them take up valuable space in my tiny sewing space, either. I did a little brainstorming and finally decided to use them to start a string quilt of sorts.


I really don't have a master plan for this quilt, and have no idea how big it will end up being. I am hoping that I will be able to keep working on it, little by little, and will have a queen sized top by the end of the year. If nothing else, I figure I'll have an interesting quilt top with bits and pieces of all the projects I hope to complete in 2010.

I'm foundation piecing this baby on 6 1/4" muslin squares, which gives it a nice weight. I had read about foundation piecing with paper and was about to give it a shot when I realized that I am easily distracted... and something as simple as having to tear paper off the back of a zillion blocks might be enough to lose interest in completing this quilt.

We've been having way too much fun with my Mom here to do any sewing, so these are the only blocks I've pieced so far. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

2 comments:

I Love Baby Quilts! said...

I love this! The pastel colors are so calming. Great job trying a new skill!

Meghan said...

That's so pretty! I like the idea of using muslin instead of paper. I'm like you and would hate to have to tear all the paper off at the end. I also think paper would dull the needle quicker.