Pages

5.12.2010

Post-Mother's Day Musings

Happy belated Mother's Day to all the Mothers out there. I hope you had a beautiful Sunday, celebrating with your loved ones, showered with kisses and hugs.

We had the loveliest weekend here; lots of sunshine, lots of laughter, but best of all, lots of love. It seems that every day I find myself rushing from one thing to the next: getting breakfast ready, the dishes cleaned up, the bed made, snacks prepared, out to play, back for lunch, nap, work, outdoor time, making dinner, cleaning the kitchen, more work, and finally bed. In between, I'm very fortunate to get my fair share of hugs and kisses from my little guy, but it isn't often that I stop and savor the moment. And that's just sad.

So this weekend, my one and only wish was to spend some time just being with my two guys. All I wanted was to soak in the sun, do some gardening, take my time, and enjoy their company. Because the truth is, they are delightful people to be around.

The Monkey was all about helping with the gardening, especially if it meant sporting Mom's hat. It was pretty funny watching him running around the yard with his little watering can (spilling most of the water as he runs across the yard), while trying to keep the hat from flying off. And those little capris and crocs? Melts my heart.


Sitting back, just enjoying the day together. Really, truly, this was the best day I've had in a long time. As I sat on our deck, watching my boys play in the yard, I could hardly believe that this little person, with a blossoming personality and infectious laughter, is my son. How did he get so big? He's so much like his Daddy, and yet so much like me. Before him, I had no idea how much I would love being a Mother, how it would completely change my life and my priorities. Days like this really remind me that I need to slow down more often and savor the moment, because they're not coming back. And, really, no matter what, these really are the most precious days of my life.

No comments: