Pages

5.18.2010

Kids Sewing Week



Last week, Meg issued a challenge: to sew one hour a day for 7 days, and to focus on getting kid's clothes made. I guess I never publicly joined in on the challenge (that's not entirely true. I do recall saying to Mikey that that was my plan...), but I took the challenge, quite literally. I spent 1 hour each day for the last week doing something sewing related: tracing patterns, ironing fabric, cutting it out, and finally, sewing a garment.

I made this lovely ruffled halter by Oliver + S (from the latest issue of Stitch) for a very special little girl in our lives. This little girl celebrated her 2nd birthday this past weekend, and I desperately wanted to give her something special and handmade. Thank goodness it's an incredibly easy sew and totally adorable.

I was surprised that I could make the halter entirely from stuff in my stash, which I admit is getting a little out of hand. I've had the gingham for at least 6 years (no idea what it was intended for), and the trim I got from my Mom's sewing stash at least 8 years ago. No kidding. It makes me so happy to see that it was all (finally!) put to good use.

And now, I'm off to celebrate. Today's my birthday!

1 comment:

ilovebabyquilts said...

So pretty! I just made two things from Oliver and S patterns and am about to make a third! Check out my blog to see them.