Pages

6.18.2010

Baby Monkeys



A couple of weeks ago, I was invited to a baby shower for a friend who was expecting her second child, a boy. I never know what to get when it's a shower for second (or third or fourth or...) babies. Something for the Mom? Clothes? Toys? Diapers? When I look around our home and our basement at the piles of outgrown stuff and clothes we have from our son, I always opt for something different. Maybe not quite a necessity, but certainly something special.

I settled on making her a quilt, which I figured could be the perfect first playmat or tummy time spot for the new baby. I used 2 charm packs (and few more squares) of the flannel Silly Monkeys line I had purchased initially intending to make a toddler quilt for my own little guy. I knew that it would be put to much better use as part of this gift.

I used the Disappearing Nine Patch pattern for the quilt, and it came together very quickly. I used some adorable alphabet flannel for the backing, and used an all over meandering/loops for the quilting. It definitely takes some practice, and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it! I used this neat red star fabric for the binding, and I know I'll be using it again, because I love it (sorry there's no close ups... these photos were taken exactly 90 seconds before I had to get in the car and drive to the shower, and about 3 minutes after the quilt came out of the dryer. Nothing like cutting it close...).


Last minute, I decided to make some burpies and bibs with some sock monkey fabric I had in my stash. I simply traced one of the Monkey's bibs on freezer paper, adding 1/4" seam allowance, and used that as a pattern. I backed both the bibs and burpies with the same flannel I used to back the quilt, to make them absorbent. I really love how they turned out, but I think next time I make these, I'll add a layer of batting or maybe an extra layer of flannel in the middle. You know, to make them even more absorbent.


It's too bad the Monkey now refuses to wear a bib 90% of the time... because wouldn't these be the cutest in truck and car fabric? Too bad I waited til he was nearly 2 to finally try my hand at making these!

No comments: