Pages

8.22.2011

Summertime Treat: Make your own ice cream!


A few weeks ago, I got my Weeknight Kitchen newsletter (a fan of NPR's The Splendid Table? Then you should consider subscribing to their newsletter here. It's great!), and at the very bottom was a recipe for Lynne's Stirred Fresh Lime Ice Cream (very similar to this recipe here). Having just moved to NC and being faced with 100+ temperatures that week, I promptly headed to the store and bought all that was needed (except I used lemons rather than limes). The original recipe was incredibly delicious - and rich. Too rich for my taste, actually (though my husband claimed it was the best ice cream he's ever tried). Since then, I've been testing out different variations of cream/milk/flavor combos to find the one that is just right for us.

This past week, I think we found it. I made stirred coconut ice cream that has been a huge hit with everyone, by simply modifying Lynne's recipe (linked above).


Here's my variation:
Stirred Coconut Ice Cream
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla (I didn't actually measure, but it looked to be about that much)
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups light cream

Place coconut, sugar, and vanilla in a freezer-safe dish (I like a long, shallow casserole dish). Add the light cream a little bit at a time, whisking as you add. Continue to whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add heavy cream and whisk some more, to combine. Place in freezer for an hour. Stir to break up ice crystals, and return to freezer. An hour later, stir again. Return to freezer. Wait one more hour, stir again. Return to freezer, and let freeze a bit longer. It's now ready for you to enjoy!

If you make it, I'd love to hear what you thought.


As a side note, this is an extremely kid-friendly recipe, and a great chance to get your little ones in the kitchen to help. We had a lot of ingredient sampling, but as this recipe does not include anything raw or potentially dangerous, it was all great fun for us both. Our little guy has now helped me make three different flavors of ice cream, resulting in lots of giggles and fun (and a big mess, too... but nothing that can't be quickly cleaned up).

Next up on my list to try out: peach ice cream!

No comments: