Pages

2.08.2012

Birthday wishes

Some 11 years ago, I graduated from college and moved into my very first apartment. It was then that I discovered my love for all things paper and virtually any craft ever invented. I especially took a liking to making my own cards - and made so many that I had a nice stash to draw from for everyone's birthdays, anniversaries, etc. In the past few years, that's changed, big time. It's not that I don't love making cards, it's just that I've got a limited amount of leisure time and I'd rather do something else these days (read: knit).

Two very dear friends have birthdays this month, and I really wanted to make some cards for them. And yet, it's been so long, I drew a blank. Where to start? What to use? And then I got overwhelmed - until I remembered that I'd actually bookmarked some ideas I'd seen online. Totally drew on them and the resulting cards were cute and quick to put together.



The first card, above, was inspired by this tag by Nora Griffin. I love her cards and visit her blog often. She's so creative, and I love that her cards aren't at all fussy. I love her use of color - so fun. If you haven't yet visited her blog, I highly recommend it. I got this deer stamp on clearance more than a year ago, and while it's been used for a few holiday projects here and there, it wasn't until I saw Nora's tag that I realized how versatile it could be. Maybe if I get my act together I can whip up some 'dear friend' Valentine's day cards, too (maybe.....).


This card, was inspired by this one from Two Peas in a Bucket. I love these robot stamps and hadn't really used them much because I kept thinking they were really boyish. After seeing the original card, it got me thinking that the little robots could really be versatile. This card is for a little girl, and I think that even though the base card is white & blue, the added purple touches  and glitter glue make it work. Our little friend is turning 6, and she's such a cool girl, I know she won't mind that this isn't a syrupy sweet all pink card.

I am always astonished at the amount of inspiration online, and so grateful for people who so generously share their ideas. Had it not been for them, I probably wouldn't have made the effort to go dig out my supplies and put these little cards together. So glad I did. I love homemade cards.

No comments: